SOUTH BEND, Ind. — The sixth-ranked Notre Dame baseball team is expected to continue playing in the ACC this weekend as Clemson heads to Frank Eck Stadium for a weekend streak. The Tigers are making their first trip to South Bend since 2018 as the series kicks off Friday afternoon. The first pitch is set for 5 p.m. ET and the contest will air on ACC Network Extra. Admission is free for all fans this season at Frank Eck Stadium.
|Preview of the weekend|
|Match:||Clemson (19-9, 2-6 ACC) vs. No. 6 Notre Dame (17-5, 5-4 ACC)|
|When:||Friday April 8 | 5 p.m. ET
Saturday April 9 | 2 p.m. ET
Sunday April 10 | 1 p.m. ET
|Likely beginners:||RHP Mack Anglin (4-2, 3.86 ERA) vs LHP John Michael Bertrand (4-0, 1.81 ERA)
RHP Nick Hoffmann (3-3, 5.29 ERA) vs. RHP Austin Temple (2-0, 3.29 ERA)
RHP Nick Clayton (0-1, 5.70 ERA) vs. TBA
|Or:||South Bend, IN | Frank Eck Stadium|
|.731||The Irish are 19-7 (.731) at home under head coach Link Jarrett.|
|.756||The Irish are 62-20 (.756) since the start of the 2020 season. That winning percentage ranks third in the NCAA over the past three seasons, behind Tennessee and Arkansas.|
|.989||Notre Dame leads the NCAA in fielding percentage with a mark of .989 this season. The Irish have committed just nine errors in 601 strikeout opportunities this season.|
|1||The Irish swept #5 Florida State on the road April 1-3 (2-0 (12), 5-4, 9-7). It was the first time the Irish had swept a Top 5 team on the road in program history.|
|1.16||Notre Dame is seventh in the NCAA and second in the ACC with a 1.18 WHIP this season. They allowed 144 hits and 89 walks in 200.1 innings pitched.|
|3.28||The Irish rank 11th nationally and third in the ACC in the team ERA with 3.28. They have allowed 73 earned runs in 200.1 innings this season.|
|6.47||The Irish are fourth in the NCAA and lead the ACC with 6.47 hits allowed per nine innings. They allowed 144 hits in 200.1 innings pitched this season.|
|7||Notre Dame had seven team steals in the midweek win over Northern Illinois. It was the most steals in a game for the Irish since March 1, 2020, when they stole seven against Presbyterian.|
|8||The Irish scored eight unanswered points in the 8-4 win over No. 17 NC State on March 11. State.|
|11.5||The Irish rank seventh in the NCAA and third in the ACC in strikeouts per nine innings with 11.5. The Irish pitching team has struck out 255 in 200.1 innings this season.|
|12.0||John Michael Bertrand (7.2 IP), Ryan McLinskey (1.2 IP), Aidan Tyrell (1.0) and Alex Rao (1.2 IP) combined to shut out #5 Florida State in 12.0 innings during of Ireland’s 2-0 win on April 1. It was the first time in program history that the Seminoles had been shut out in an extra inning game.|
|12||John Michael Bertrand set a career high with 12 strikeouts against No. 5 Florida State on April 1. It was the most strikeouts in a game for an Irish pitcher since Cameron Brown struck out 12 against Florida State on March 23, 2019.|
|13||The Irish allowed three or fewer runs for the 13th time this season in a 5-2 win over Butler on April 5. They are 13-0 this season and 39-2 overall under Jarrett in games where they allow three or fewer runs.|
|15||Notre Dame is 15-2-1 all-time in the regular season under Jarrett. The Irish are 4-1-1 in the ACC series at Frank Eck Stadium and 13-2-1 in the ACC series over the past three seasons.|
|18||The Irish struck out 18 in the 2-0 win over No. 5 Florida State on April 1. It was the most strikeouts in a game for the Irish pitching staff since May 16, 2008, when they struck out 18 against South Florida.|
|57||Outfielder Spencer Myers has 57 interceptions in his Irish career and ranks eighth all-time in program history for most career interceptions. He trails AJ Pollock by four for seventh place in program history.|
The Irish and the Tigers will face each other at Frank Eck Stadium
- The Irish continue the homestand by hosting Clemson at Frank Eck Stadium for the first time since 2018.
- The Tigers lead the all-time series 13-10 over the Irish and hold a 6-3 advantage in games played at South Bend, but the Irish have won the last two series against Clemson.
- Last season in the series against the Tigers, the Irish won the final two games at Doug Kingsmore Stadium to win the series after falling in the series opener.
- John Michael Bertrand tossed 7.0 one-point innings on Saturday to claim his first victory in an Irish uniform.
- Niko Kavadas hit a two-run homer in the first quarter and it was all the offense the Irish needed as they tied the series at 3-1.
- On Sunday, Liam Simon took the win with 4.0 relief innings and allowed just one run.
- At the plate on Sunday, David LaManna tied the game at 1-1 with an RBI single that scored Jared Miller.
- In the next inning, Carter Putz doubled down the wall on the left to score two points and give the Irish their first lead of the game, which they did not relinquish in the decisive 3-2 series victory.
- Putz led the way at home plate during the weekend series, hitting .600 (six hits) and scoring a team-high three runs.
- Clemson enters the weekend 19-9 on the season and is 2-6 in ACC play. They are coming off a 2-2 week when they lost two of three at home to NC State and picked up a midweek win over #10 Georgia.
- The Irish are 17-5 this season and 5-4 in ACC play. They are 4-0 over the past week with a weekend sweep of No. 5 Florida State and a midweek win over Butler.
- It was the first-ever road sweep for the Irish against a Top 5 team in program history and the first time the team had won a series in Tallahassee.
- The Irish are in the midst of a five-game winning streak, their second five-game winning streak or more this season.
- Notre Dame heads into the weekend with the best field team in the country. They have an NCAA-leading .989 fielding percentage and have committed just nine errors in 22 games.
Irish Grind Out Midweek Win Over Butler
- The Irish secured their five-game homestand by starting with a 5-2 win over state foe Butler.
- The Irish trailed 2-0 after the start of the first but scored once in the first and second sets to tie the game at 2-2.
- Jack Brannigan hit his fourth home run of the season, a solo hit, in the first to bring the Irish on the board.
- In the second, Nick Juaire laced an RBI single to the left that scored Ryan Cole and tied the game.
- The game remained level until the sixth when Notre Dame scored three runs in the inning.
- Ryan Cole beat the home pitch on Zack Prajzner’s helicopter in the third and a pitch error allowed Juaire to score from the second. Later in the set, Prajzner scored on a suicide compression from Spencer Myers.
- The bullpen carried the Irish into victory as they pitched 8.1 batted innings to secure the victory.
- The Irish didn’t allow the Bulldogs to get a hit from the second inning in the eighth when there were already two outs in the frame.
- Jack Findlay earned his third win of the season with 3.0 no-hitter relief innings.
- Austin Temple got his second save of the year after putting the Bulldogs in the order in ninth.
- The victory was the 13th time this season that the Irish allowed three or fewer runs and they are 13-0 in those games.
- The Irish won their 13th straight game against Butler and improved to 9-0 midweek under head coach Link Jarrett.
Among the best in the nation
- Since the start of the 2020 season, the Irish have been one of the most consistent teams over the past three seasons.
- Notre Dame is 62-20, good for a .756 winning percentage in that span.
- This ranks third overall in the NCAA, behind only Tennessee and Arkansas.
|school||Record since 2020||Win percent.|
|UC Santa Barbara||72-29||.713|
- Among ACC teams, the Irish have the best winning percentage over the past three seasons.
|school||Record since 2020||Win percent.|