NCAA Media Center
OMAHA, Neb. — The Notre Dame baseball team is back in Omaha for the third time in program history as they prepare to begin the 2022 College World Series on Friday. Ireland’s first game of the World Series is against the lead serial No. 9 Texas Longhorns making its 38th College World Series appearance. The Irish send veteran southpaw John Michael Bertrand to the mound to face southpaw Pete Hansen. The Irish and the Longhorns will face off in Game 2 of the day from Charles Schwab Field with an estimated start time of 7 p.m. ET on ESPN.
|College World Series Preview|
|Parenthesis 1:||No. 5 Texas A&M (42-18)
No. 9 Texas (47-20)
Our Lady (40-15)
|When:||Friday, June 17 | 7 p.m. ET vs. No. 9 Texas
Saturday June 18 | 2 or 7 p.m. ET vs. No. 5 Texas A&M/Oklahoma
|Likely beginners:||LHP John Michael Bertrand (9-3, 2.67 ERA) vs LHP Pete Hansen (11-2, 3.40 ERA)|
|Where:||Omaha, NE | Charles Schwab Field|
|Live score:||NCAA Live Stats|
|.712||Notre Dame is 52-21 (.712) from Frank Eck Stadium under head coach Link Jarrett. In 2022, the Irish are 12-9 in real road games and 11-3 in neutral site games.|
|.739||The Irish are 85-30 (.739) since the start of the 2020 season. That winning percentage ranks second in the NCAA over the past three seasons, behind Tennessee.|
|.980||Notre Dame is 13th in the NCAA and first in the ACC in fielding percentage with a mark of .980 this season. The Irish have committed 41 errors in 1,475 strikeout opportunities this season.|
|1||Notre Dame is the only school in the country to have a team in the College World Series, both in the March Madness tournaments and in a New Year’s Six Bowl game.|
|1||The Irish swept #5 Florida State on the road April 1-3 (2-0 (12), 5-4, 9-7). It was the first time the Irish had swept a Top 5 team on the road in program history.|
|1.29||Notre Dame is 12th in the NCAA and first in the ACC with a WHIP of 1.29 this season. They allowed 419 hits and 214 walks in 491.2 innings pitched.|
|3||Notre Dame is one of three teams (Tennessee and Texas) to go undefeated in the regional round in each of the past two seasons.|
|3.95||The Irish are ranked 12th nationally and are first in the ACC in the team ERA with 3.95. They’ve allowed 216 earned runs in 491.2 innings this season.|
|4||The Irish are the first program in NCAA Tournament history to have four wins over the No. 1 national seed in the super regional round.|
|6||The Irish are one of six national teams to be ranked in every D1Baseball poll this season. It’s the only ACC team to be ranked in every poll this year.|
|seven||The Irish allowed seven runs in three games at the Statesboro Regional. It was the second-fewest points allowed by a team in the regional round this season (Texas, 6).|
|7.67||The Irish are sixth in the NCAA and first in the ACC with 7.67 hits allowed per nine innings. They have allowed 419 hits in 491.2 innings pitched this season.|
|10.8||The Irish rank fourth in the NCAA and second in the ACC in strikeouts over nine innings with 10.8. The Irish pitching team has struck out 591 in 491.2 innings this season.|
|12||John Michael Bertrand (7.2 IP), Ryan McLinskey (1.2 IP), Aidan Tyrell (1.0) and Alex Rao (1.2 IP) combined to shut out #5 Florida State in 12.0 innings during of Ireland’s 2-0 win on April 1. It was the first time in program history that the Seminoles had been shut out in an extra inning game.|
|19||The Irish tied the program record for most strikeouts in a game with 19 in the win over No. 24 Texas Tech on June 3. They tied the record which was set on April 16, 1958 in a 12-10 victory over Indiana. .|
|28||The Irish allowed three runs or fewer for the 28th time this season in a 7-3 win over #1 Tennessee on June 12. They are 28-0 this season and 54-2 overall under Jarrett in games where they allow three runs or less.|
|63||Outfielder Spencer Myers has 63 interceptions in his Irish career and ranks seventh all-time in program history for career interceptions. He trails Dan Bautch by five for sixth place in program history.|
|75||The Irish set a program record for most homers in a single season with 75 heading into the College World Series. The previous record of 73 was broken in the final game of the Knoxville Super Regional on June 12.|
|591||The Irish set a program record for strikeouts as they are at 591 heading into the College World Series. They surpassed the previous record of 504 in the ACC Championship win over Florida State.|
Irish return to Omaha for third time in program history
- The Irish return to Omaha for the first time in 20 years after eliminating the top-ranked Volunteers in the Knoxville Super Regional.
- Notre Dame is the only ACC team to qualify for Omaha after four ACC teams competed in Super Regionals.
- This is the 16th consecutive season that an ACC team has advanced to the College World Series.
- Link Jarrett is one of two coaches (Mike Bianco) this season who participated in the College World Series as a player and is now a College World Series coach. Jarrett went to Florida State three times as a player and Bianco went once as a player to LSU.
- The Irish are in the first bracket in Omaha with No. 9 Texas, No. 5 Texas A&M and Oklahoma.
- Three of the four teams on the Notre-Dame side of the table had to go on the road to win their Super Regional.
- The Irish and the Longhorns are set to meet for the seventh time in program history and the all-time series is tied 3-3 between the two schools.
- The two teams are meeting for the first time since 1995 and this will be the second time they will meet in Omaha. The Irish defeated Texas 9-0 at Omaha on June 10, 1957 in the program’s first-ever trip to the College World Series.
- Texas enters the College World Series as the No. 9 national seed and a 47-20 record on the season.
- The Longhorns finished fifth in the Big 12 regular season standings, but advanced to the Big 12 Championship Game before falling to Oklahoma.
- Texas went 3-0 in the Austin area with wins over the Air Force twice and Louisiana Tech. In the Greenville Super Regional, the Longhorns won the final two games to clinch 38th place in the program at the College World Series.
- Notre Dame has the best team ERA (3.95) of the eight teams that have traveled to Omaha. The Irish also hold the highest rating among Omaha teams in hits allowed per 9 innings (7.67) and WHIP (1.29).
Irish Clinch Omaha Berth with 7-3 Comeback Win Over #1 Steals
- The Irish ended college baseball’s upset of the season by knocking out the top-ranked Volunteers, 7-3, to advance to the College World Series.
- The Irish overcame a 3-1 deficit heading into the seventh as they scored three in the seventh and three in the eighth to pull away.
- Tennessee was 49-0 this season as they led after six innings as the Irish handed the Vols their first loss of the year after leading six innings.
- Facing the 3-1 deficit in the seventh, David LaManna tied the score at 3 with his second homer of the season.
- Jack Brannigan went back to back with LaManna and his solo outburst gave the Irish their first lead of the game.
- Notre Dame added three runs in the eighth after a 2-RBI double by Carter Putz and an RBI single by Jack Zyska.
- Jack Findlay was out of the bullpen in the fifth inning and he closed the volunteer lineup to close out the game.
- He earned his sixth win of the season after 5.0 scoreless relief innings and allowed just one hit against one of college baseball’s best teams.
- In the playoffs for Findlay, he made three saves and a win and closed the regional and super regional for the Irish.
- He pitched 10.1 total innings in the playoffs and allowed just one three-run run in four appearances.
- With the victory, Notre Dame was the only team to win a series in Knoxville this season.
- The Irish also reached the 40-win plateau for the first time since the 2006 season.
Irish Open Super Regional with 8-6 Win Over #1 Tennessee
- Notre Dame sent shockwaves through college baseball by knocking out No. 1 Tennessee, 8-6, in Game 1 of the Knoxville Super Regional.
- Prior to the game, Tennessee was 37-3 at home this season and had won 11 straight games.
- The Irish hit four home runs in the victory, the most home runs Tennessee had allowed all season.
- The Irishman’s four homers came in the first four innings. Carter Putz hit a two-run homer in the first, Jared Miller added a solo shot in the second, Jack Zyska hit a two-run homer in the third and Jack Brannigan capped it off with a three-run blast in the fourth.
- It was the first time since 2002 that the Irish knocked out the country’s No.1 team. The highest-ranked team the Irish beat during that streak was No. 3 Mississippi State in the Super Regional last season.
- The Irish handed Tennessee their first playoff home loss since 2001.
- It was also Tennessee’s first loss in the super regional round in program history. They were 6-0 all-time in super regional games heading into the weekend.
Among the best in the nation
- Since the start of the 2020 season, the Irish have been one of the most consistent teams over the past three seasons.
- Notre Dame is 85-30, good for a .739 winning percentage in that span.
- This ranks second overall in the NCAA, behind Tennessee.
|School||Record since 2020||Win percent.|
|UC Santa Barbara||98-35||.737|
- Among ACC teams, the Irish have the best winning percentage over the past three seasons.
|School||Record since 2020||Win percent.|