Summer Fundraiser, 2022
For nearly 35 years, the Richmond Review and Sunset Beacon newspapers were supported solely by advertising revenue. When COVID-19 hit a few years ago, we lost advertisers. After so many years of relying on advertising revenue to create and distribute our community newspapers, the time has come to supplement diminished advertising revenue with donations from our readers. We could use the help of our community.
COVID has not only forced many of our advertisers to stop their support, it has also made it difficult for small businesses to spend valuable funds on advertising. We hope that our loyal readers can contribute a little to the health of our neighborhood newspapers and our website. Additionally, as small businesses continue to struggle, we are committed to not increasing advertising rates for our existing customers.
A few comments :
• Our mission is to inform our community and help small businesses. Your contribution will connect you to this mission – you can directly help your neighbors.
• California has lost a quarter of its newspapers and half of its editorial staff over the past 15 years. San Francisco has lost more than half of its neighborhood newspapers over the past decade. Your contribution will help the Richmond Review and Sunset Beacon publish for many years to come.
• Printing and delivery costs increase. Equipment and supply costs increase. Our writers, photographers and editors haven’t had a raise in years. Ad revenue is simply not enough to allow us to thrive. Your contribution will help ensure our continued service to our community.
• Your contribution will help us hire and train interns to learn the trade and take over the business in the future.
• Our website, RichmondSunsetNews.com, averages over 20,000 views each month. Although we are losing money on the site, we know it is a valuable free resource for our community. He gives voice to our readers and shares information not published in our newspaper. Your contribution will keep the website free – no paywall, no pop-up ads, no subscription fees.
• Long-time readers of Richmond Review and Sunset Beacon may have noticed that articles have been 16 pages lately, compared to the 12-page articles we have produced in the past. The extra pages allow us to tell more stories, post larger photos, add new features (cartoons, crosswords, the Announcements section, using current photos alongside historical photos – “Yesterday and now”) and more. Ad revenue alone is not enough to fund 16-page articles. Your contribution will help us continue to publish robust 16-page, and sometimes 20-page, articles.
We frequently receive compliments on our articles and are often told how much readers enjoy reading the Richmond Review and Sunset Beacon. We even received unsolicited contributions; we have not forgotten your kindness and generosity Gale, Poonam, Maria Gloria, Beverly, et. Al. Thank you! Thanks also to Carmen Lee who donated her time and talents to create the two “Best of the Richmond” surveys. We are very grateful for your community spirit!
We hope our community’s love for our newspapers and website will translate into financial support for our Nourish Your Neighborhood Newspapers campaign.
To contribute, please send a check to Richmond Review or Sunset Beacon, PO Box 16035, SF, CA 94116. We would like to include your name in an upcoming issue to thank you for your generosity. If you want your donation to be anonymous, let us know.
We also have a PayPal account: [email protected] We plan to launch a GoFundMe page and other online fundraising initiatives. If you or someone you know has experience in this area, help would be a great contribution to the cause.
Many thanks to our readers, advertisers and supporters. The creation of the monthly journal is a labor of love, inspired by you.
Questions? Contact Michael Durand, editor and publisher of Richmond Review, Sunset Beacon and RichmondSunsetNews.com at [email protected] or 415-706-6428.