SOUTH BEND, Ind. — The eighth-ranked Notre Dame baseball team closes out the regular-season home roster by hosting Pitt for a weekend series at Frank Eck Stadium. The Irish and the Panthers are battling for the ACC standings with two conference weekends remaining until the ACC Championship in Charlotte. The series will begin Friday evening at 6 p.m. and will air on ACC Network Extra. The final two games of the series will air nationally on ACC Network.
|Match:||Pitt (26-20, 12-11 ACC) vs. No. 8 Notre Dame (29-10, 13-8 ACC)|
|When:||Friday May 13 | 6 p.m. ET
Saturday May 14 | 4 p.m. ET (ND degree day)
Sunday May 15 | Noon ET
|Likely beginners:||RHP Matt Gilbertson (8-2, 2.61 ERA) vs LHP John Michael Bertrand (6-1, 2.35 ERA)
RHP Logan Evans (3-6, 7.44 ERA) vs. RHP Austin Temple (3-1, 3.68 ERA)
RHP Billy Corcoran (7-3, 2.92 ERA) vs. TBA
|Or:||South Bend, Indiana | Frank Eck Stadium|
ACC Network (Saturday)
ACC Network (Sunday)
|.747||The Irish are 74-25 (.747) since the start of the 2020 season. That winning percentage ranks third in the NCAA over the past three seasons, behind Tennessee and Arkansas.|
|.775||The Irish are 31-9 (.775) at home under head coach Link Jarrett. They are 19-8 in ACC home games under Jarrett.|
|.983||Notre Dame is eighth in the NCAA and first in the ACC in fielding percentage with a mark of .983 this season. The Irish have committed 27 errors in 1,055 strikeout opportunities this season.|
|1||The Irish swept #5 Florida State on the road April 1-3 (2-0 (12), 5-4, 9-7). It was the first time the Irish had swept a Top 5 team on the road in program history.|
|1.25||Notre Dame is 11th in the NCAA and second in the ACC with a WHIP of 1.25 this season. They allowed 286 hits and 155 walks in 351.2 innings pitched.|
|3.84||The Irish rank 18th nationally and are third in the ACC in the team ERA with 3.84. They have allowed 150 earned runs in 351.2 innings this season.|
|7.32||The Irish are seventh in the NCAA and first in the ACC with 7.32 hits allowed per nine innings. They have allowed 286 hits in 351.2 innings pitched this season.|
|10.9||The Irishman ranks ninth in the NCAA and third in the ACC in strikeouts per nine innings with 10.9. The Irish pitching team has struck out 425 in 351.2 innings this season.|
|11||The Irish scored 11 runs in the sixth inning against Boston College, the most in a single inning this season. It was the most runs in an inning since April 24, 2021, when the Irish scored 12 runs in the eighth inning against Boston College.|
|12.0||John Michael Bertrand (7.2 IP), Ryan McLinskey (1.2 IP), Aidan Tyrell (1.0) and Alex Rao (1.2 IP) combined to shut out #5 Florida State in 12.0 innings during of Ireland’s 2-0 win on April 1. It was the first time in program history that the Seminoles had been shut out in an extra inning game.|
|12||John Michael Bertrand set a career high with 12 strikeouts against No. 5 Florida State on April 1. It was the most strikeouts in a game for an Irish pitcher since Cameron Brown struck out 12 against Florida State on March 23, 2019.|
|18||Notre Dame is 18-3-1 all-time in the regular-season playoffs under Jarrett. The Irish are 7-1-1 in the ACC series at Frank Eck Stadium and 16-3-1 in the ACC series the past two seasons.|
|18||The Irish struck out 18 in the 2-0 win over No. 5 Florida State on April 1. It was the most strikeouts in a game for the Irish pitching staff since May 16, 2008, when they struck out 18 against South Florida.|
|20||The Irish allowed three points or less for the 20th time this season in the 21-3 win over Wake Forest on April 23. They are 20-0 this season and 46-2 overall under Jarrett in games where they allow three runs or less.|
|42||The Irish scored 42 points in their sweeping series of Wake Forest from April 22-24. He set the program record for most runs in an ACC series since joining the conference in 2014. It was the most runs in a three-game conference series since 1993, when the Irish scored 48 runs in a Dayton sweep while members of the Midwest Collegiate Conference.|
|61||Outfielder Spencer Myers has 61 interceptions in his Irish career and ranks seventh all-time in program history for career interceptions. He trails Dan Bautch by seven for sixth place in program history.|
Ireland host ACC home series final against Pitt
- The regular season is coming to an end as the Irish are set to host Pitt in their final ACC home series of the season this weekend.
- The Irish hold an all-time 49-24 advantage over Pitt and are 24-7 in games played at South Bend.
- The Irish have won the last four series against Pitt since the 2016 season.
- In the series last season against Pitt, Ryan Cole hit .417 during the series, Carter Putz had two home runs and four RBIs, and Spencer Myers scored five runs.
- Tanner Kohlhepp took both wins for the Irish after 4.2 scoreless relief innings. Will Mercer had 4.0 scoreless innings in his start against the Panthers.
- Head coach Link Jarrett has a number of ties to Pitt’s coaching staff as he was teammate with Mike Bell at Florida State in the 1994 College World Series run.
- Jarrett was also an assistant coach at Mercer when Pitt’s assistant Ty Megahee transferred to the Bears and played his final two college ball seasons in 2004 and 2005.
- Pitt enters the weekend series with a 26-0 overall record and is 12-11 in ACC play this season.
- The Panthers are coming off a 2-2 week after winning two of three at home against Duke and giving up their midweek route to West Virginia.
- The Irish are 29-10 this season and 13-8 in ACC play. They won their final series of the weekend against Boston College at home and are coming off a midweek home win over Michigan State.
Big innings lead former Irish Spartans
- The Irish clinched the season series against Michigan State with the 15-6 win at Frank Eck Stadium on May 10. The Irish have beaten the Spartans in two of the three meetings of the year.
- It was the third game in a row and the 14th time this season that the Irish had scored in double figures.
- Two big innings propelled the Irish to victory midweek and it started with six runs in third.
- Ryan Cole hit his seventh home run of the season to open the scoring in third.
- Back-to-back doubles from Carter Putz and Jack Zyska scored three runs and Spencer Myers scored the final run on his goal-laden walk.
- A five-run inning in the seventh put the game out of reach. The Irish had RBI doubles from Putz and Zyska and RBI singles from Coetzee and LaManna.
- On the mound, Jack Findlay had the best start of his young career. He set career highs with 4.0 innings pitched and eight strikeouts.
- He improved to 5-0 this season and is the second Irish bowler to start the season 5-0 this year (John Michael Bertrand started the year 6-0).
- Matt Bedford made his first career appearance in the win. He pitched 2.0 innings of work with two strikeouts.
- After the third and seventh innings, the Irish have played 18 separate innings this year in which they have scored five or more runs.
- It was the third game this season where they had two or more five-run innings in the same game.
The sweetness of the hearth
- After not being able to play a home game in his first season due to the pandemic, the Irish have dominated at Frank Eck Stadium for the past two seasons.
- The Irish hold a 31-9 (.775) record at home under Link Jarrett and are 15-2 (.882) in home games during the 2022 season.
- Notre Dame is 7-1-1 in the ACC home series since Jarrett took over and three of those seven series wins have come swept away.
- They are unbeaten in midweek home games for the past two seasons. They have won all three midweek home games in 2020 and have gone 8-0 this season in midweek games. The Irish also swept all three games of the 2021 South Bend Regional at Frank Eck Stadium.
- Earlier in the season, the Irish enjoyed an 11-game winning streak at home. It was the longest home winning streak in a single season since 2006, when the Irish won 20 consecutive home games.
Among the best in the nation
- Since the start of the 2020 season, the Irish have been one of the most consistent teams over the past three seasons.
- Notre Dame is 74-25, good for a .747 winning percentage in that span.
- This ranks third overall in the NCAA, behind only Tennessee and Arkansas.
|school||Record since 2020||Win percent.|
|UC Santa Barbara||88-32||.733|
- Among ACC teams, the Irish have the best winning percentage over the past three seasons.
|school||Record since 2020||Win percent.|
Dominance of the CCA
- Since Link Jarrett’s arrival in South Bend, the Irish have been conference class for the past two seasons.
- Notre Dame is 41-18 (.695) in ACC games since 2020, the best winning percentage of any school in the conference.
- The 41 conference wins over the past three seasons are the most of any school in the league.
- The Irish are 16-3-1 in the ACC series over that span and eight of the series’ 16 wins have been swept.
- The eight ACC sweeps eclipse the total the Irish had racked up in the six years before Jarrett joined the conference in 2014.
- In 2022, the Irish are 5-2 in the ACC series with four of the series wins coming by sweep. They swept the Wolfpack in an abbreviated two-game road series, swept the fifth-place Seminoles in Tallahassee and swept Clemson and Wake Forest at home.
|school||ACC record since 2020||Win percent.|
|state of florida||34-29||.540|