SSANU and NASU protest imbalance in earned allowance sharing model

0

Non-teaching staff at the University of Ibadan on Thursday began a series of protests against the imbalance in the federal government’s model for sharing the slice about to be released from allowances earned in 2021.

Under the auspices of the Non-University Staff Union (NASU) and the Nigerian Universities Senior Staff Union (SSANU), staff who staged a protest march to the main gate of the school pledged to support protests until the federal government revises the sharing formula for earned allowances.

By performing various Aluta songs, the non-teaching staff led by SSANU President Mr. Abiodun Omisore and his NASU counterpart Mr. The University Staff Union (ASUU) will get 75 percent.

Speaking on behalf of the unions, Omisore accused the federal government of systematically skewing the payment of benefits earned in favor of the ASUU.

Returning to the story of paying earned allowances, Omisore said that in 2017, of the 23 billion naira allocated, 89 percent went to ASUU and 11 percent to non-teaching unions.

A similar scenario, Omisore noted, occurred in 2019, when of the 25 billion naira allocated, 80 percent went to ASUU while non-teaching unions got the rest of the 20 percent.

When the scenario unfolded in 2019, he indicated that the government had promised to address the perceived imbalance in the supplementary budget for the following year.

Omisore said non-teaching staff unions were demanding fairness by arguing that allowances earned were in fact included in the supplementary budget to address payment gaps and shortfalls regarding non-teaching staff at universities.

Omisore instructed the federal government to ensure fairness in the sharing of allowances, vowing to resist what they called an “unholy, unhealthy and heinous sharing formula that will not be based on principles of fair play, common sense and good neighborliness ”.

Omisore added: “Although the government has been accused on several occasions of irregular and / or split payment of these allowances, the fact that the government has been biased in the payments is of particular concern, as the payments have mostly been skewed in favor of ASUU.

“In 2017, of the 23 billion naira allocated, 89% were allocated to ASUU and 11% to other non-teaching unions (SSANU, NASU and NAAT) and in 2019, of the 25 billion naira allocated, 80% was allocated to ASUU, while other non-teaching unions in universities fought with the remaining 20%.

“It is also relevant to note that in 2019, when this unhealthy and sinful situation unfolded and non-teaching unions engaged the government. The government, surprisingly, realizing it had made a mistake, promised that union concerns would be addressed in the supplementary estimates for the following year. Two years later, in 2021, the government was once again twisted by the arm and perfected provisions to prejudice non-teaching members of universities in the earned allowance sharing formula.

“While non-teaching unions do not ostensibly engage ASUU or fight for equality, but reason demands that there be fairness and piety in the Nigerian university system. It should be remembered that the earned allowances included in the supplementary budget were mainly aimed at filling the gaps and shortfalls in the payment of non-teaching members of Nigerian universities.

“As members of the non-teaching staff, branch of the University of Ibadan, in the jargon of the Boys’ Brigade, we are more than prepared to resist with all our might, any unholy, unhealthy and / or sharing formula. or odious which will not be based on the principles of fair play, common sense and good neighborliness.

“Consequently, we call unequivocally, that the federal government backtrack and attempt (if only for the first time) to be impartial in the sharing of the tranche about to be released from the vested benefits. in 2021.. “

In addition, Omisore pointed out that the national trade union leadership signed a memorandum of understanding with the federal government in February to resolve issues of inconsistency in payments from IPPIS, non-payment of earned allowances, non-payment of salary arrears, delay in renegotiating the FGN / NASU and SSANU 2009 agreements, non-payment of retirement benefits for outgoing members, among others.

He denounced that 90 percent of the February memorandum of understanding had not been addressed by the government, urging the government to honor and implement the aspect of allowances earned to its members.

YOU MUST NOT MISS THESE NIGERIAN TRIBUNE TITLES

We haven’t had a water supply for months – Abeokuta residents

Despite the huge investment by government and international organizations in the water sector, water scarcity has become an eternal nightmare for the people of Abeokuta, the capital of Ogun State. This report x-rays the lives and experiences of residents getting clean, safe, and affordable water amid the upsurge in COVID-19 cases in the state.


Source link

Share.

Leave A Reply